Thursday, August 16, 2007

Won't Be Long


I should be studying. I should have started a long time ago. Big final exam tomorrow, big oral exam after the written final. I'm not a crammer, but I should prepare a little.

Of course I haven't been studying. I've been blogging, writing emails, writing a letter of complaint to the DC headquarters of this program, complaining about the way they selectively ignored my emails when I had important questions about payment. I wrote so much that I forgot to go to Chinese Table. Whatever.

Anyway, so I will study after I post this. But just now, I was doing my sunka... ok, sunka is the Filipino shell game you play on a carved wooden board with little pits in it (see picture above); and when you play you grab a handfull of shells and you deposit one in each pit.... ok, so sunka is Filipino slang for filling your daily pill dispenser, and the experience of dropping a pill in each little box is similar to dropping a shell in each....

Never mind. I was filling my pill dispenser when I realized the majority of the pills I was measuring out will be taken in America, not in China. I have tomorrow, Saturday, and on Sunday I leave.

I'll be happy to see my sister, and to catch up with my friends. I'll be happy to drive my car and sit on my couch and watch tv. And sleep on my big, soft, American bed.

What will I miss about Hangzhou? I will miss X, E, C, and all the other A班人。 I will miss the teachers. I will miss speaking Chinese all the time. I will miss not cooking, but having food readily available (and dirt cheap) when it's time to eat.

Well, it won't be long now.

1 comment:

Delia Christina said...

sunka!

this was the first filipino game my mother taught us. we used pinto beans. i believe there is an african game very much like this one, too.

i wonder if my dad saved the sunka tray after my mom died...