Wednesday, August 15, 2007

All About Me

E told me today that my blog is only interesting when he's in it. So (my life) - E = not interesting. Ok, I see how it is. Therefore I plan to quadruple the time I spend with him in our last three days together as classmates.

Ok, "quadruple" may be overstating it.

Today he asked if he could chuck the peach on my desk at the building across the way. See, that's why we're friends, because he *asks* to throw my food at other buildings. Anyway, he went to throw it, and then noticed a shirtless dude giving another shirtless dude a back massage in the target building, so he lost his nerve.

He just wanted to throw my peach, he didn't want to commit a hate crime.

Today in my one-on-one class I talked to the teacher about our textbook's obsession with conjunctions. Everyday we learn a different way to say "however," yet none of us correctly use 了, 把, or 被 in our every day speech.

Honestly, I don't need 20 different ways to say "however" at this point in my language proficiency level. I can say 可是 in every situation and get by. However, it's a shame that my grammar is wrong every time I have to speak in the past tense, talk about definite direct objects, or use the passive construction. Why can't we learn that stuff, level-appropriate stuff, instead of fracking "However"-A-Day?

Of course, 了, 把, and 被 were presented to us over the course of the summer, but usually as one of fifteen grammar points per day.

My teacher is not ready to throw out the text book. Me, I'm ready. I been ready.

Tomorrow is review day; Friday is test and party day; Saturday is graduation and party day, Sunday is goodbye day. Ohhh, Sunday. 星期天, Sunday has become the answer to all of our little annoying problems.

No comments: